fweye
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fweye

Gayer than a game of Puerto Rican hopscotch

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fullerene
Senior Moderator
fullerene

An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) Empty
PostSubject: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:58 pm

Like many fans I was disheartened and surprised by what I saw last Saturday. It took a few days for me to process what I saw but now I think I'm ready with answers for why the guy I once thought was an unbeatable fighting machne was laying face down being pounded on by yet another overweight fighter.

Put simply, the Kimbo we've seen in the UFC is not the same fighter he once was. Prime Kimbo was a street fighter extraordinaire--a machine built on aggression, superior athleticism and life on the streets. When a bully like Bird or Adryan needed to be put in his place, you called on Kimbo. When an elite athlete like Ladamian Tomlinnson needed to get an extra edge in his training, he called on Kimbo. When Strikeforce wanted to create the biggest event in U.S. MMA history, they called on Kimbo.

And every time he delivered!

But like most legends, he heeded the call one too many times. When the UFC sought out the best HW talent in the world for their reality show, The Ultimate Fighter, it was Kimbo who was the star...the special announcement...the guy everyone expected to walk through the competition. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. For once in his life the might Kimbo was not up to the task. Was it the countless streetfights, the hard living, the lack of motivation or the contrived rules of NSAC sanctioned MMA that did him in? I'm not going to offer a guess at that, because a guess is all it would be. I'll just say that I did not expect it--not even for one second.

Now I have to face facts. Kimbo may never, as Mike Goldberg says, "reign supreme in the Octagon" again. I'm not going to lament. I'm going to remember. And the Kimbo I remember is not the guy I saw last Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
fullerene
Senior Moderator
fullerene

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:58 pm

no reason this thread should have been exclusive to Myspace
Back to top Go down
fullerene
Senior Moderator
fullerene

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 1:40 am

3 views and no replies?
Back to top Go down
fullerene
Senior Moderator
fullerene

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 1:41 am

oh, that might have just been me An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
SinsChampion

SinsChampion

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:31 am

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
fullerene
Senior Moderator
fullerene

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 4:20 pm

The "interest" part is generated from Kimbo's hard scrabble upbringing.
Back to top Go down
Fumblerene

Fumblerene

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 4:12 pm

You know a lot of stuff about Kimbo Slice. Are you related to him?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)   An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan) Empty

Back to top Go down

An honest look at Kimbo (from a true fan)
Page 1 of 1